Friday, September 11, 2009

Quilting Round Robin

After what feels like a short summer, we are all trying to get back into our fall (school) routine.  We had our much anticipated first Kindred Kwilter's group meeting at our church that meets once a month (we don't meet over the summer). Not everyone that comes attends our church, so it was really great to see everyone together again. What was really funny was how everyone was so interested in a pile of plain white small boxes (they looked like pizza boxes). Of course we were not allowed to pick them up and look in them (shhh... it was a secret!) Every year we do a new project for ourselves and an outreach or mission project. Our only ongoing project  we do all year long is making baby quilts; our group makes baby quilts for all the new baby's that are born to church members. So 25 to 30 ladies continually make baby quilts all year to keep up with the demand (we have 800 members at our Church, that means a lot of babies!)       

Have you ever heard of a Round Robin? Well I had heard of one but never was involved in one... until now! I am so excited! Let me tell you how ours is going to work... this is a quilting Round Robin and every quilt group has their own rules.  Our quilt group is doing a very simple round robin for our 1st one as a group.
Each person will make a 12 inch block of their own choosing. You place it in your white box (the mystery white pizza box with instructions and a place to put your name glued inside), then at the Oct. meeting everyone will place their box on the assigned table. At the end of the meeting you will pick up a box (not your own) on your way out- the fun part is you don't know who has your box! The next person will add some kind of borders to your block. Then in November, you will do the same thing. This will continue until February, and in March you will get your own box back; what a surprise it will be! You never know what you will find in the bag attached to your box (by then it will not fit in the box!) I just love this idea! I will post pics of my block when I get it done, then pics when I get it back in March. Can't wait! 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting me at Delights of the Heart. I bet the women in your church would love a traveling teapot ministry. Just find an inexpensive teapot, add a journal for people to record their time with the teapot, and give a time limit for keeping it. It is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so fun. It kind of sounds like a "swap". I am gong to a "class" next weekend, it's kind of a retreat. It's called "An Artistic Affaire L'Autumne". It is hosted by Kim Caldwell who puts it all together. She spoils you beyond belief ALL DAY LONG and has 3 artists come in and teach us something. It could be how to make a wreath, or a piece of jewelry, a special box. It is soooooooooo much fun. This is the 2nd one I am attending!
    Anyway - I got sidetracked. We all enter different "swaps". There is an assignment, lets say a birdhouse. You meet your swap partner on-line , ask questions, (favorite colors, etc.) and then create their special birdhouse. And then after tea at An Artistic Affaire, we "swap". It is soooo fun. The pressure is on - because you really want your swap partner to love their project. This time our swap is a masquerade ball mask. Ohhhh the pressure! But I'm almost done, and I really like it. We'll see! If you'd like, Kim is on my blogroll under Artistic Bliss. You can ago check it out. It is just an awesome day!

    OK, so when are we opening our tearooms? LOL. I wish!

    HAGD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Round Robin project sounds like a lot of fun. I'll look forward to seeing your finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Round Robin really does sound like alot of fun.. I really can't wait to see what it looks like.. I love this idea so much..
    Stephenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Donna! Very nice to meet you! I'm very new to blogging & wanted to Thank You for stopping by my blog & becoming one of my followers! You have a very lovely blog!! Love anything to do with Tea! That Round Robin sounds like so much fun! Hope you have a beautiful week! Come by & visit with me again!
    Hugs & Blessings ~ Teresa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much, for taking time in your busy day to read my post and visit my blog. I love it when you leave a comment!
What a blessing! Have a wonderful day!